For more than 120 years the miraculous air of Colibita, with its ozone content and its high level of negative ions works wonders. At the beginning of the last century pupils and students were cured in the TBC sanatorium but now a great many of our guests tell us that they were very stressed when they arrived in Colibita, they had been agitated and weary, but after just a few days all these disappeared as if swept away with a miraculous sponge. This is Colibita, a miraculous place of a divine beauty. The images and the short motion picture tell everything about the divine beauty. As for the miraculous effect of the air in Colibita, you have to take our word for it until you become our guests to see for yourself. Welcome at the Sea in the mountains
- The hamlet Colibita was for the first time mentioned in 1760
- The first settlement that looked like a small hut, was built by a citizen of Bistrita Bârgaului who came during the summer with his cattle and sheep for alpine pasturing. It is this hut that gave the name „Colibita”, a fine suggestive name.
- Among the first inhabitants there were veterans who had been discharged from the Austrian army. Their pay amounted one extra zloty to purchase an “ax” to root out a part of the wood, to build a small farmstead and to grow a few animals.
- The therapeutic characteristics of the place was discovered accidentally. In 1883 a citizen from Bistrita, a certain Lewi, sent his daughter, who suffered from TBC to Colibita for rest and recovery. After three months the girl was cured. The case was a sensation in the medical world of Bistrita
- A similar treatment had an architect from Switzerland, an Erika Schuller, who after a few weeks came back healthy
- After 10 years and at the instigation of Erika Schuller they built above the water a sanatorium with 10 rooms that were well equipped and where they were never short of patients
- Willi Janis put up, in 1900, a new building where they treated patients suffering from TBC
- During the World War I the German army put up here barracks for injured and convalescents. They chose this place as it was calm, the air was rather still and they saw that ill people treated here got well more quickly
- A German carpenter, W. Ianitchi, built several houses and villas for citizens of German origin from Bistrita. They now lay the foundation for the future health resort.
- The first villa was built in 1922 and was followed by others built by the same Ianitchi, for the representatives of the German citizens of Bistrita
- In 1922 the corporation “Colibita” of Bistrita built the first hotel
- In 1926 the society „Caritatea” of Cluj, whose manager was Olivia Deleu, purchased the buildings from Willi Janis. Here they treated undergraduates suffering from TBC free of charge for years on end until the World War II broke out
- In 1928 the first primary school in Colibita was opened and the first teacher, named Buf, came from Prundu Bârgaului
- In 1929 the retired major Seiler together with the widow Römer and Erika Schuller built several houses used as pensions that were in use until the end of World War II
- In 1930 the club of mountain tourism SKV built a chalet for tourists in the center of the village
- In 1930 several citizens of Bucharest built a mansion district beneath the Pusca Mountain
- In 1939 in the village there were 32 villas, 2 sanatoriums, 3 pensions, 1 hotel and 1 restaurant
- In the same period the infrastructure of the place was put up, they mounted electrical energy, a phone net, railways, commercial center and they brought medical doctors
- . In 1935 the village had 578 visitors, in 1936 there were 700, in 1937 they counted 1329, in 1938 (by 1 September 1st) 1640 and in 1939 there were as many as 1680 guests in Colibita
- In 1944 the German army that was on retreat set the two medical buildings of the Caritatea sanatorium on fire
- After the end of War World II and after the communists came into Power the villas and the other business facilities Colibita were nationalized and they started the health spa of local importance Colibita. From the administrative point of view it was part of the District Department of Tourism Bistrita-Nasaud. During this time they did not make any noteworthy investments in the existing villas and pensions. The only important thing they did now was to build a forestry railway system that added the surroundings a picturesque note besides the purpose to intensively cut trees in this zone. During the flood in 1970, the railway was destroyed. But even during this time the citizens of Bistrita came to Colibita especially for the air that had so many curative characteristics.
- In 1976 they decided to build a reservoir dam, a storage reservoir and the hydropower station Colibita. The scope of the investment was to produce electrical energy, to supply water for Bistrita and the villages downstream but also to protect them against floods. The spa Colibita was submerged and so were the villages surrounding it and in order to compensate this they decided to build a hotel. It was in December 1989 that they finished it and as the owner of the building (OJT-Bistrita Nasaud) did not exist anymore, nobody took responsibility and it is now a ruin.
As they tell in the short movie the old spa Colibita became “the sea in the mountain” after they built the storage reservoir, a place of a heavenly beauty where they slowly but surely lay the foundation of a special tourist resort
- As Fisherman’s Resort is the most important tourist operator in Colibita, it establishes the trend of this gorgeous place. For the near future (the following months) we plan to build four more rooms and a small indoor SPA center, so that our guests can enjoy, even in cold seasons, a bath in the swimming-pool, relax in the Jacuzzi or in the sauna. We also intend to develop some interactive programs for our tourists (harvest of forest fruit and cooking the fruit on site, out-door photography courses, safari photo, etc.)It is of importance for us to develop programs for companies and to make Fisherman’s Resort a training center and a place of active holidays, and, as the specialized human resource in the area is rather poorly represented, we will start organizing specialty courses such as cooks, waiters and hotel specialists. We are going to finance this activity and the trainees shall have their practical training with Fisherman’s Resort. For us the future sounds fine!